MUPS (Multiple Unit Pellets System):
The oral route of drug administration is the most important and most user-friendly route of administration. In recent years, Multiple Unit Pellet Systems (MUPS) tablets are widely used in solid dosage form design. MUPS is considered to provide pharmacokinetic advantages compared to monolithic dosage forms. Typically, modified release pellets are contained in MUPS tablets. Modified release drug delivery systems have acquired very important role in pharmaceutical research and development.1
1.1Advantages of Compaction of MUPS over Conventional Modified-Release Tablets and/or Pellet-Filled Capsules and Tablets.
- The compression of multiparticulates into tablets, unlike the hard gelatin capsule, is a tamper-proof dosage form and has greater physicochemical and microbiological stability of pellets as they are embedment in the inert matrix.
- Tablets have less difficulty in esophageal transport than capsules.
- Tablets containing coated subunits can be prepared at a lower cost than these subunits filled into hard gelatin capsules because of higher production rate of the tablet press.
- The expensive control of capsule integrity after filling is also eliminated.
- In addition, tablets containing multiparticulates without losing the controlled-release properties could be scored, which allow a more flexible dosage regimen.